Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hope of Glory

Dear Church,

A facebook friend of mine recently asked me how my time in India was. This is what came out:


"That's a loaded question. ;-) I spent last semester in India working with orphans, lepers, and those in the slums.

Short story: We got to see God's provision in a way that shook me awake to His graciousness.

A few weeks after arriving, we did a teaching to the kids in the Christian children's home based on John 6 (when Jesus fed the five thousand) and Philippians 4:19. "And my God will meet all your needs according to the glorious riches that are in Christ Jesus."

We had each of the 35 children write their name on a paper fish and put it on a big piece of white paper that was hung in the hallway outside of the girls' rooms.

One day in November, our American contact sat my team down and began a heavy conversation with a desperate prayer. He then jumped right to the issue:

"Asha House is in danger of closing. There is not enough money to get them through December."

We were hit with reality. If God did not provide for these precious children, they were going to be released into the streets of Delhi to fend and beg for themselves. I had seen enough of this -- children begging -- already, and to this day it stirs up rage within me.

Needless to say, we had to DO something.

We immediately contacted our supporters and told them the situation that needed to be acted upon as soon as possible.

A challenge was given for the Body of Christ to seek first His kingdom and store up treasures there.

A challenge was given to consider others as better than ourselves.

A challenge was given to believe that all things are a loss compared to knowing Christ.

I could go on.

The Old Testament came alive to me again. In Nehemiah, he prays for his people,

"...they are Your servants and Your people, whom You have redeemed by Your great strength and Your mighty hand. O Lord, let Your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of Your servants who delight in revering Your name. Give Your servant success today by granting him favor..."

And this, from Daniel, caused me to weep,

"Now, our God, hear the prayers and petitions of Your servant. For Your sake, O Lord, look with favor on Your desolate sanctuary. Give ear, O God, and hear; open Your eyes and see the desolation of the city that bears Your name. We do not make requests of You because we are righteous, but because of Your great mercy. (!!) O Lord, listen! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, hear and act! For Your sake, O my God, do not delay, because Your city and Your people bear Your name."

The thought of Asha House ("Asha" means "hope" in Hindi) closing was inconceivable to me. These kids are the future light of India! This home is a place where transformation happens and the gospel is made known every day! I'm telling you, kids that have been exposed to the truth and reality of His love are so visibly different over there. Those who were once closed off and reclusive begin to dance. They play. You should hear them laugh! God makes Himself so known there. With all of that in place, everything within me was screaming, "This place CAN'T shut down!!"

And you know what? It didn't. It still hasn't. Over $12,000 came like a flood within a matter of weeks. It was neither under nor over what was needed. "Neither poverty nor riches..."

I envy their opportunity for such faith. And I wonder how much of that opportunity can be had here. I believe now that it's not about the condition of my finances or abilities, but about my God. It's not about me. And that's the greatest thing to hear when my inadequacies are always before me.

So, that's a small bit of how India was. Our God is powerful and compassionate. And there's a lot more where that came from. :-)

Oh -- and if you're interested in donating to them, as they're always needing donations, check out

http://ashahouse.org/

-------------------------

Yours for the Kingdom,
bd

No comments:

Post a Comment